Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Wilson Fat Shaft

Posted by: user86885 | Mon 7th Apr 2008 15:19 | Last Reply

I have been offered a set of Wilson Staff Fatshaft irons, R Mandrella signature model 3-LW... I have heard a bit about Fat shafts, but don't know how good they are.

Anyone own a set and can give me an idea?? 

Ta

Phil

MODS: Please move to the reviews and views/Golf Equipment forum!!!!

Last edit : Mon 7th Apr 2008 15:31
re: Wilson Fat Shaft
user77921
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 15:32

Moved!!

user86885
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 15:34

Ta

user25268
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 16:06

As a high handicaper i hesitate to give advice however i own wilson fat shaft deep red irons which seem to suit me ,but earlier this year i took them to a local firm to have loft and lie adjusted and was told that fat shafts could only be done at the factory, although when i was measured it was found they were a little long for me so were shortened slightly , this did seem to help my ball striking and direction. if your buying privatly i hope this helps, or buying from shop or pro no doubt they will advise on any adjustment you may need.

user80414
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 16:13

Hi Philip, 

I have a set of Fatshaft III irons which i used for 3 years up untill very recently.... i think that they are very good, forgiving Irons as they have a huge "sweetspot" you really have to have a bad connection to go horibly wrong with them! so a great club for the beginner/mid handicapper. Depending on what sort of money they are being offered for (and what clubs you are currently using) i would give it some serious consideration. Or if you could "try B4 you Buy" that would be even better.

The Tech babble says that the "fatshaft" technology reduces head twist and promotes a more agresive connection on impact. I just thought that they fell nice :o)

Although i have just purchased a set of Mint Taylormade 300 forged, i will not be getting rid of the Fatshafts just yet.

Hope this helps 

Danny 

user86885
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 17:38

Been offered them for £50 which seems very good. I have a set of Nicklaus MTf at the mo, just fancied a change!

user80414
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2008 21:25

Philip,

For that kinda money you cant go wrong, worse case senario you would get your money back on Ebay!

Give em a go.

Danny

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top